Thursday, March 15, 2012

Book Review: Miracle for Jen

Who is the author of suffering?  Is it Satan, as some would have us believe?  Or does God ordain suffering to accomplish His purposes? 

Jen Barrick was a godly 15 year old girl with talent and beauty.  She was shy when it came to sharing the Gospel, but she prayed desperately for God to equip her with boldness and desired to be used for His glory.  He answered her prayers.  A drunk driver hit her family's van head-on.  Jen experienced massive head trauma and was in a coma for 5 weeks.  Unable to respond to questions she began to express her innermost thoughts and they glorified her Heavenly Father.  Her first words were prayers and praise songs worshiping Her Father. 

Miracle for Jen is a book about the power of prayer and how God uses weakness to accomplish His purposes.  Jen's mom, Linda Barrick, authored the book (along with co-author John Perry) and she provides detailed insight into Jen's slow recovery from a brain injury.  The accident stripped Jen of her inhibitions and gave her a boldness to share her faith in public.  Jen will never physically be what she once was, but God has transformed her into a vessel He is able to use. 

I found this book difficult to put down as I was eager to learn what happened next as Jen struggled for life and then faced the challenge of learning to walk and function again.  This book will make you praise God for His goodness and thank Him for His people.  I am amazed to read of the selfless sacrifices made by those from Jen's church, Thomas Road Baptist Church.  It really reminded me how I need to be more giving when those around me are suffering from a long-term illness or injury. 

Jen's journals prior to the accident were full of prayers and praise to God.  They revealed what was hidden in her heart.  The accident caused what was in her heart to be verbalized.  Never was there any cursing or angry words, as is typical with most who suffer brain injuries. I wonder if you and I were to experience something similar, would we be embarrassed to have what is in our hearts revealed? 

I will be giving a copy of Miracle to Jen away on March 29th.  Leave a comment below to enter the giveaway.  Learn more about the book by visiting:  http://www.miracleforjen.com/



Disclaimer: Tyndale House Publishers provided a complimentary copy of this book to me. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255:“Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very interesting book! I enjoy reading your reviews. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post thanks for sharing...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review! I would love to win a copy. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an amazing book! Thanks for the review and I would love to win this book! I was so glad to see the link to your blog on fb today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...