Monday, August 22, 2011

Is He Your Inheritance?

A few days ago I received the latest issue of HeartCry Magazine, a publication by HeartCry Missionary Society, directed by Paul Washer and many other godly mission-minded individuals.  I made it a point to read most of the magazine on our way to church yesterday morning.  There was a beautiful anonymous letter written from one missionary wife to another.  It was about the very human struggles of sacrificing family memories and modern conveniences for the sake of the Gospel. It was called "The Inheritance."

Here is a portion of it:
Today, while reading "Candles In the Dark" by Amy Carmichael, I came across an excerpt of a letter to a dear friend in which she quoted Deuteronomy 18:2: "The Lord is their inheritance as He hath said unto them."  Amy then followed by writing the following:  "I thought then as I think now of the lovely inheritance you might have had.  but He is your Inheritance instead of that lovely earthly joy.  Throughout all eternity that word will be opening up its treasures." 
At that point I could not remember exactly what the contest was for this verse,  so I looked up Deuteronomy 18:1-2.  God in giving instruction to the Israelites before they enter the Promised Land, lays down what should be the inheritance rights for the Levites, those God-chosen servants who were to devote their lives to worshipful service in the temple.  My heart sank as I read:  "The priests, who are Levites - indeed the whole tribe of Levi - are to have no allotment of inheritance with Israel.  They shall live on the offerings made to the LORD by fire, for that is their inheritance.  They shall have no inheritance among their brothers; the LORD is their inheritance, as He promised them." 
Tears burned my eyes as the Lord spoke these words directly and deeply to my heart.  I thought of the other eleven tribes who received - as their right - a share in the goodness of the land.  I then thought of my family, in their homes, enjoying the blessings, those "lovely earthly joys" God had freely given them.  And I heard my Lord Most Dear whisper in my heart, "But that is not to be your place.  Your inheritance is different."  As I was soaking this in, tears again burned my eyes,  and I whispered back to Him,  "This is a hard word."  My desires to have a daughter grow up aground her grandparents and family and an eventual life of pleasant familiarity in American crumbled around me.  Then, I again heard God whisper, "This is not your inheritance.  Your inheritance is Me."  How true this is for my life.  I even live on the offerings made to the Lord by my brothers and sisters who have received a very different inheritance.  As I closed my Bible my eyes again went to Amy Carmichael's letter:   "You will never regret your choice.  It is wonderful to be free to pour out all, every drop of one's life; and that is what you have done and are doing.  No, you will never regret it; never."  (HeartCry Magazine, July-September 2011, pg. 12-13)
These are beautiful words that made me realize how little I've sacrificed for the sake of the Gospel.  I think it's an inconvenience to get up early to pray for others.  I think it's an inconvenience to drive 30 minutes to attend a church service.  It sometimes seems like a sacrifice to give our tithe to Him.  But are these truly sacrifices?  No! I'm afraid I could be compared to the wealthy tossing in their meager gift to the Lord, when this godly missionary has given her all, just like the widow woman.  (Luke 21:1-4)

Am I willing to make Him my inheritance?  Is He my all?  Am I guilty of hoarding earthly possessions, education, or money for my security? 

"Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses."  Luke 12:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...