Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Our Prayer Journal

Today I was out shopping and found a tiny blank scrapbook for $.50.  I purchased it thinking I could find a use for it.  It didn't take long to formulate a plan.  I recalled my mom putting together some prayer cards when we were quite young.  She glued pictures from magazines onto construction paper to remind us who to pray for.  I used that idea and created a prayer journal for Abby and I to use.  It's as much for my own use as for her's.  I cut out pictures of family members and used the mounting tabs to secure them in there.  I'm not extremely creative, but I found it quite enjoyable to decorate the prayer journal.  I am using pictures from magazines or cards to remind us what to be thankful for also.  If I can't find a picture of an item I'll just use my fun alphabet stickers to spell out the word to pray for. 

Tomorrow morning we will use it for the first time.  My greatest difficulty will be getting her to sit still as we point, pray and praise.  It will also be a challenge to keep her from eating my handiwork.  Why does she think paper is tasty? 

My heart's desire is that Abby will learn more and more about God and how to glorify Him through our daily actions.  I want her to see Him in the sunshine, our playtime, and even the birds we hear.  How will she know that "by Him all things consist" unless we talk about Him, read about Him, and pray to Him?

"But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God."  Mark 10:14

How can we bring children to Jesus Christ to be blessed? We cannot do it in a corporeal sense, for Jesus is not here, "he is risen;" but we can bring our children in a true, real, and spiritual sense. We take them up in the arms of our prayer. I hope many of us, so soon as our children saw the light, if not before, presented them to God with this anxious prayer, that they might sooner die than live to disgrace their father's God. We only desired children that we might in them live over again another life of service to God; and when we looked into their young faces, we never asked wealth for them, nor fame, nor anything else, but that they might be dear unto God, and that their names might be written in the Lamb's Book of Life.             -C. H. Spurgeon in Children Brought to Christ, and not to the Font

4 comments:

  1. I don't think moms can start early enough to set good examples. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Hope she doesn't eat your handiwork! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing this will be to little Abby. This is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby has given new meaning to the verse "Taste and see that the Lord is good." :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...