Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Lies on the Playground

“Truth is the agreement of our ideas with the ideas of God.” Jonathan Edwards
Abby and I volunteered at our local elementary school today.  The kindergarten class needed extra help during lunch and recess so I decided to give it a shot.  I was at a disadvantage as I didn't know much about the schedule and hadn't met any of the students or teachers before today.  I'm not sure I actually provided much assistance.  The lunch room was incredibly noisy.  So noisy it was difficult to focus.  I saw several little ones putting their hands over their ears as it was way more stimulation than they could handle.  Abby loved the noise and the children and let out a few shrieks in her little 11-month old voice.

It was a sunny warm day so the kids released their pent up energy on the playground after lunch.  I had worked with 5-17 year-olds in my mentoring program, but was never around this many kindergartners at one time.  They were so rambunctious.  I became exhausted watching them (perhaps carrying Abby in the hot sun was a factor also).  There was some pushing and tussling; the normal kids being kids.

I found it quite interesting that I was a lied to a few times.  Once by two little boys who told me they were allowed to play out on the soccer field, when I later learned this was not the case.  They obviously knew I wouldn't know the difference.  And another little boy didn't want to get into line so he told me he wasn't part of the class, which was a lie.  Isn't it amazing how little hearts are full of lies at such an early age?  They desire to manipulate and deceive without being taught to do so (although some do have negative role models).
The wicked are estranged from the womb; They go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies. Psalm 58:3

We are all born depraved sinners going our own selfish way; living a life full of lies and hypocrisy.  For those of us who have since been converted, we still sometimes revert to our lying ways.   Our church is beginning a ladies' study on the book of 1 John.  I've been re-reading it numerous times so I can begin to dig deeper into the meaning of passages.  Tonight this verse popped out at me:



If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?I John 4:20


I'll admit I've been guilty of this.  I would never outwardly state I hate a brother or sister, but there have been times I've harbored hatred and unforgiveness toward them.  And there are times I've seen another Christian sin and felt hatred toward them, not because I was affected, but because they dared commit such a heinous act.  I realize we as Christians should hate sin, but I have hated the sinner when they happen to be a professing Christian.  With God's help I want to work on replacing the lies with forgiveness, prayer and genuine love. 

May I say with Solomon:

For my mouth will speak truth; Wickedness is an abomination to my lips. [and my heart] Proverbs 8:7

Today I'm linked up with:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...