Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Hymn for Sunday

What a lovely hymn by John Newton to end this Father's Day:
 
Ask what I shall give thee  
 (based on I Kings 3:5)
Behold the throne of grace,
The promise calls us near,
There Jesus shows a smiling face
And waits to answer prayer.


That rich atoning blood,
Which sprinkled round we see,
Provides for those who come to God
An all-prevailing plea.


My soul, ask what thou wilt,
Thou canst not be too bold:
Since his own blood for thee he spilt,
What else can he withhold?


Beyond our utmost wants
His love and pow'r can bless,
To praying souls He always grants
More than they can express.


Since 'tis the Lord's command,
My mouth I open wide;
Lord open thou thy bounteous hand,
That I may be supply'd.


Thine image, Lord, bestow,
Thy presence and Thy love,
I ask to serve Thee here below
And reign with Thee above.


Teach me to live by faith,
Confirm my will to thine;
Let me victorious be in death,
And then in glory shine.


If thou these blessings give,
And wilt my portion be,
Cheerful the world's poor toys I leave
To them who know not thee.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...