Thursday, June 2, 2011

Be Ready with An Answer (Part 2)

Since my post regarding the JWs coming to my door, I've been pondering how I should prepare if placed in a similar situation.  Today I watched a short clip by Paul Washer (an itinerant preacher I greatly admire) that provided one of his approaches to this group:


  • He asks them "What is the gospel?" and allows them to explain their definition.  
  • He then asks them to provide the description a second time and repeats their definition back to them to confirm he heard it correctly.
  •  He then opens up his Bible to I Corinthians 15:1-4  "Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you; unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures."
  • He then turns to Galatians 1:8 "But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
  • They typically try to say they also believe this Gospel, but he reminds them that he gave them multiple opportunities to state what they believed to be the Gospel and they left Christ's death, burial, and resurrection out of it.
Initially upon hearing this approach I thought it seemed a bit too harsh (okay, perhaps I struggle with the fear of man), but I began to think about how Jesus approached individuals during His time here on earth.  It was the devout Pharisees He condemned and called liars, brood of vipers and hypocrites.  It tended to be the outcasts and those with physical handicaps that He had compassion on.  They were the individuals who recognized their need for a Messiah and whose hearts He softened. 

No one is able to comprehend and be convinced of the truth of the Gospel of their own accord.  "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."  I Cor. 2:14  May I be bold enough to speak the truth in love and allow God's Holy Spirit to accomplish it's work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...