Thursday, April 28, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Remember the old nursery rhyme that begins with "Mary, Mary quite contrary.  How does your garden grow?"   This quote by John Newton reminded me of that rhyme:
The Lord abhors pride and self-importance. The seeds of these evils are in the hearts of his own children; but rather than suffer
that which He hates to remain in those He loves, He will in mercy pound them as in a mortar, to beat it out of them, or to prevent its growth.
This quote made me begin to consider the garden of my heart.  What seeds are sprouting there?  Are sprouts of envy, hatred, and pride taking root?  Isn't it amazing how no tending is required for weeds to flourish?  So  it is with our hearts.  It takes no effort whatsoever for these "weeds" to multiply and stifle the good spiritual fruit. Perhaps a good dose of spiritual Roundup is needed.   Active ingredients include the Holy Spirit, Prayer, and God's Word.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my *thoughts. And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24  (*or cares)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...