Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Giver of All Authority

This morning I was listening to an audio version of the Bible and today's portion included John 19:10-11

So Pilate said to him, “You will not speak to me? Do you not know that I have authority to release you and authority to crucify you?” Jesus answered him, You would have no authority over me at all unless it had been given you from above. Therefore he who delivered me over to you has the greater sin. (ESV)

I was comforted in the reminder that God is sovereign in all aspects of our world, including the selection of who will be our leaders.  God has a plan behind raising a leader up or allowing another's reputation to be destroyed. 

Already candidates are gearing up for the 2012 presidential election.  Although God is sovereign and He ultimately will determine who will be our next President in 2012, we as Christians still have an obligation to be informed and to vote.  God's sovereignty is no excuse for inaction.  Rather, our actions (prayer, voting, running for an office) are a part of His plan.

In these troubled times, God's peace sustains me.  His grace will be sufficient for whatever we Christians may face in the near future.  Man is powerless apart from God. God is the Giver of all authority! 
"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."  - Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...