Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Label Maker

I recently heard Elizabeth Hagen speak at a Moms and Toddlers event.  Elizabeth is a professional organizer, not someone I would naturally emulate.  I am disorganized.  More so now that I'm a mom.  I'm constantly interrupted.  I begin a task and then discover another undone task and begin to work on that and then Abby begins crying.  So my house is in an undone state.  Elizabeth's presentation made organizing almost sound fun.  I took some good notes till I was notified that Abby was crying and hungry in the nursery. 

Elizabeth had three door prizes and I was fortunate enough to win a label maker.  Now I've used one in my previous jobs, but it's not a product I would consider purchasing.  Unfortunately, it still sits unopened on my table in the living room.  I know I have no excuse for not being organized.  I have the tools. I have the steps I need to take. Now I just need to take action.  I must make it a priority.  I know I can be organized, as several bosses have told me I am.  I think I've just pretended to be organized so that no one would know how disorganized I actually am.  More likely the pressing deadlines compelled me to prioritize. 

My problem is that I don't consider my home my workplace.  I guess it is now.  I've viewed it as my sanctuary, my charging station and my entertainment center.  It's so difficult to view it in a different light and focus on the tasks that must be completed in order to keep it functioning smoothly.  I've enjoyed planning major events and fundraisers, but when it comes to tomorrow's menu, I have no clue what we'll be eating.  It all depends on what I'm hungry for the moment the hunger pangs begin. 

I am slowly implementing some of the tips Elizabeth provided.  One of them was to make sure every item has a home.  I guess it's time to find a permanent location to store my new label maker. It must be put to good use.  I WILL BE organized.  It's not too late for a 2011 resolution is it? 

2 comments:

  1. It's never too late to be organized! I'm with you on that. :) It's a constant struggle for me, too, and I'm a work in progress.

    I do warn you, though, about letting others get possession of your labeler. They might play tricks on you..
    http://amultitudeofmercies.blogspot.com/2011/04/when-youve-called-them-wrong-names-one.html

    Seriously, though, the best book I've read to help me get a good foundation for organizing is The Organized Heart by Staci Eastin. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post just made me SMILE! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...